Thursday, July 28, 2016

August MIA Board Meeting: Tuesday August 2nd at 7:30 p.m.

Please come to the August MIA Board Meeting!
7:30 PM August 2 at the MIA clubhouse.

Agenda:

Community Input and community
    events/announcements                                                30 minutes
Review/approve June Minutes                                       Lily
MIA Blog Update                                                           Lily
Facility update                                                                Rich
Community letter discussion                                          Rich
July 4th closure/lessons for next year                             Rich
Treasurer Transition                                                       Todd
Open Board Position                                                      Rich
Property Management option/discussion                       Rich

Early Swim attendance                                                   Lily
Swim Lessons                                                                 Todd
Swim Team                                                                     Rich

Saturday, July 09, 2016

4th of July Awards and Thank Yous


A huge thank you to all of our neighbors and friends who put in hard work and spirit into another great parade and BBQ this year!

Float and Parade awards are as follows:

Overall:

1st Prize:   Montalban. " Legos"
2nd Prize:  Upper Puerto Vallarta. " Andy's toy chest"
3rd Prize:   Lower Puerto Vallarta  "beach toys"

Best Adaptation of theme:

Lower Monteverde " toy soldiers" 

Most Creative:

1st place: Monteval. " Gotham city"
2nd place: Swim team " Pool Toys"

Most Original:

1st place: Upper Monteverde " Dead Pool"
2nd place: Kid on bike (sorry, we don't know your name!!!  Let us know and we will update post!)



An extra special thank you to our wonderful volunteers!!!  
It truly takes many dedicated people and love to pull off an event like this.



For 4 on the 4th and float theme coordination:  Don and Shelli Whiting and their family (Mary, Cheyenne and Arielle among others!)

Shelli would also like to extend her thanks for all the people who helped with 4 on the 4th:

"I would like to extend a THANK YOU to Peggy Samson, Julie Moore, Sandy Olsen, Mark Olsen, Ken McKavey, Gupi Kirsh, Don Bethune, Kristi Migliore, Mrs. Thiara, and spotters Jacob Nietzel, Kirsh daughter and friends, Migliore daughters and friends, and David Whiting and other bystanders who stepped up to the plate to help with the run.  Please forgive me but the names may not be spelled correctly.  It takes a village to 'run' the race successfully: I could not have done it without her and others:  Julie Moore, Gupi, Ken, Ben Bethune, Sandy and Mark Olsen, Stacey Moore"

Vicki Saenz for ordering food and drinks

For organizing and building floats: the block float leads

For leading the parade,Cub scouts and the flag bearer that everyone followed


For washing the parade vehicle that drove our counselperson Johnny Khamis: Don Whiting, and family Mary, Cheyenne and Arielle.

For driving the parade vehicle that drove our counselperson Johnny Khamis: Bruce Dahl

For buying and delivering popcicles: Jeremy Werner

For organizing, tons of behind-the-scenes work, coordinating with police and city and lending wisdom from last year: Todd and EveAnn Osborn.

For further organizing, details, behind-the-scenes work, prize and float organizing, parade details: Rich Robertson

For announcing: Brent Neitzel

For singing our national Anthem: Lauren Coleman


For food preparation and distribution: Judy and Payton Hansen, Ron Blumstein , EveAnn Osborn, Todd Sneller, Martha Hiller, Rich Robertson, and the best hot dog cook: Patricia Cosgrove and friends.


For ticket sales and tons of organizing: Mary Robertson and EveAnn Osborn

For providing wonderful desserts: The Montevideo Piranhas

For judging: Boy Scouts Andrew and Michael Amey from Boy Scout Troop 340 and Jerry Hurwitz (non-boyscout), and thanks to Ron Blumstein for organizing our judges and posting and creating our volunteer list.


For leading our parade as general marshals and for their ongoing great work at the pool all summer long: Montevideo Lifeguards.

For leading pool games, toys, organizing and everything else she does: Peggy Samson (and her family)

For donation of coins for the yearly diving game that the kids love: the Matts and the Montoyas


For being in charge of beer: "The Parsley Club" - we will update this post with specific names soon.

Thank you also to anyone we missed.  It was a wonderful 4th and we couldn't do it without you.

Lily Halem for the MIA Board of Directors





Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Morning Adult Swim Will Continue For the Summer

Hey Montevideo Residents!!!!

MIA is offering a coached Master's Swim program for adults on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 6 a.m to 7 a.m.  The cost is $5/per swim to cover the cost of our coach, Jesse Saenz.

We had enough participants during our trial period to continue for the rest of this summer.  Please come.  Let us know if this program is valuable to you.  If we get positive feedback we are more likely to budget for it next year.


MIA 4th of July planning meeting June 21, 2016 Approved Notes

Special 4th of July planning meeting
MIA Board meeting June 21, 2016

Meeting started 7:30 pm
Board members present
Vicki
Todd
Rich
Lily
Don (came later)

6 community members
Agenda:

Open forum

What happened to lights on the path on Monteval?  Someone liberated it.

Approve minutes:
All board members approved the minutes for May and June.

Swim lessons: Emily Milburn approached the board about teaching lessons.

From noon to 1 , between swim team practice and community swim time.

Emily Milburn : emilburn912@yahoo.com; 408-504-8385

The board has been hoping to offer swim lessons at the pool, as has been offered in the past.

We agreed to employ Emily and 2 of the current lifeguards to offer swim lessons to Montevideo residents during that time slot.

We will add Emily to the payroll; lifeguards are already on the payroll. Lessons will be offered for $20 per half hour.  (Emily reported $25, secretary may have misunderstood.)  Instructors will set their own schedules with parents, and collect the payment for lessons, to be turned into the MIA treasurer.

Emily will post on NextDoor, and MIA will post to blog and NextDoor.  Peggy will provide the contact information for the other swim instructors.

Financial report:
Bookeeping service: Todd met with bookkeeper.  (Linda) She can do pretty much everything we want.  But she doesn’t think it makes sense to do any bill payment.  Most of the bills we pay are automatic anyway.  Pool guy, gardener, Reimbursement for supplies we do independently written checks.

Quicken will let you do bill pay, and Quickbooks won’t, but there isn’t much advantage of doing bill pay through the accounting, because we can do that through Wells Fargo.  Right now we do it through quicken ($14.95/mo), but we should convert to wells fargo, which should have a similar cost.

She has a way she (Linda) can share the quickbooks with 2 other members.  Quickbooks desktop is probably the best way to do it, because we can print out our own reports.  (rather than paying someone to print out our reports)

$65/hr. cost.  We estimated 4-5 hrs/ mo. Down-payment (retainer) $400 to secure work.

We should maybe ask if she would be willing to issue the checks too, and how much that would cost.  Vickie would sign the checks. 

Todd and Rich and Vickie are going to meet to help settle the duties of the treasurer so that Vickie feels comfortable doing it.

We are going to have Linda do our books for 6 months.  She is going to bring our books up to date through the end of June, 2016.   Then at the end she can give us a price to write the checks. (Once she has a better sense of how many checks written per month/ time required.)  Todd and Rich will meet with her. 

Todd will have to assemble all of the records.  Rich offered to help. 
All in agreement with this proposal.

Phones:

Phone in the clubhouse isn’t working: people are complaining that when people call the clubhouse it doesn’t work.

Instead, they should call Peggy on her cell phone.  Todd changed Peggy’s phone number on the website.

Morning swim: has been averaging 4 swimmers thus far, board approves to continue for the summer.

Swim Team
The swim team is doing their own payroll for coaches this year, after historically coaches being employees of MIA, and on our payroll.  Also, swim team and MIA have historically used the same tax I.D. 

MIA board has asked the swim team to provide information about what tax id they are using, how they are incorporated/registered, confirmation of payroll meeting requirements for worker’s compensation and sick pay, because the MIA board does not know the status of these.  

The swim team board has not yet provided this information.  We do have a copy of the swim team insurance coverage.

We will ask our lawyer for guidance.

July meeting: would usually be July 5th.  We will not have a July 5th meeting, but it was not decided whether we would set a meeting later in July or wait to August.  Stay tuned for more information.

4th of July planning:
Let’s do a hard copy drop on doorsteps.  Rich will do it and add a note to please sign up for our blog to get current information about our neighborhood.

Ron Blumstein has posted a volunteer sign up sheet.  Please let us know what you are available to help with.  The sign-up sheet can be found on line at:  http://vols.pt/1cMDaa

Lily will also post the sign-up sheet at the pool. 



Monday, June 20, 2016

Special board meeting for 4th of July planning Tuesday June 21 7:30 pm

PLEASE COME TO OUR 4TH OF JULY FINAL PLANS MEETING!!!!



Open session

Swim lessons
Swim Team info request
Reserve Study
Approve May and June regular board meeting draft notes
July 4th planning

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Adult Morning Swim Wednesdays and Fridays from 6 am to 7 am


In case you missed it in our board minutes, our swim coach for Montevideo Piranhas, will also be coaching a Masters Swim for adults twice a week starting this Wednesday, June 15.

Adult swim will be offered Wednesday and Friday mornings from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. for Montevideo residents. The cost will be $5/ swim, to be collected when you arrive.

We will try this program for 2 weeks, and as long as we have an average of 5 people per morning, we can continue the program for the whole summer.

If this kind of programming is important to you, please let the board know.  We did not budget for it separately this year, which is why we are charging for it, but if it is popular and important to our community we will prioritize it for next year.

We chose the time this year because that is when our coach could do it, but do give us feedback in the future about the days and times.  We will consider it for future planning.




4th of July Announcements!!! Now with graphics!


 MIA July 4th Celebration       

2016 theme: Favorite Toys and Comics
               
The theme this year is all about kids!  If you don’t have a float on your street feel free to participate in the parade anyway.  You can dress up your family members as comic book characters or as toys, or any way you can think of to fit our theme.  We encourage decorating bicycles, baby strollers, wagons and any other item you can think of.  Or just bring your favorite toy.  If you would like to be judged, please line up at 10:30 a.m. on July 4th on Monteval with the rest of the parade and you will be issued a number. You are always welcome to jump in the parade at any time.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you live on the Parade Route, please remove your vehicles from the curb. The map of the parade route is attached.  One lane of Camden Avenue northbound will be closed for about an hour (11am-Noon) during the parade. Thank you to all the neighbors on the route who decorate and celebrate in front of their homes!

Please submit your float idea to:     Don Whiting (408) 591-7454 drwhiting@yahoo.com

7:00am - 4 on the 4th Run/Walk Registration (P)
8:00am - 4 on the 4th Run/Walk Begins (P)
10:30am - Parade Assembles on Monteval Lane (P)
11:00am - National Anthem & Parade Begins (P)
11:30am - Ticket & Food Sales Begin (MIA/G)
2:00pm - Pool Games Begin (MIA/G)
12-5pm - Pool & BBQ party @ pool/clubhouse (MIA/G)
P = Public  MIA/G = Neighborhood and Guests


We need volunteers for the July 4th BBQ festivities to help with BBQing, food sales, set up and clean up. Contact Ron Blumstein at ronblumstein@yahoo.com or sign-up at Volunteer Spot http://vols.pt/1cMDaa if you would like to volunteer. Thank you to all the volunteers and the neighborhood that make this event a success



4 on the 4th Run                                                                     
We need help with the 4 on the 4th run.
·        Data Entry (names, ages, etc);
·        Meeting runners at the start and handing out bibs;
·        Finish line timing;
·        Track times to determine winners.
Contact Don Whiting for early registration












Pool reminders for the 4th:
·        Children must be supervised for their safety.
·        Please do not move shade structures.
·        No running or horseplay.
·        No glass containers.
·        Please follow lifeguards’ directions; and please clean up your area when leaving.

MASTER SWIM PROGRAM BEGINS AGAIN!:
The Pool will be open 6am to 7am Wednesdays and Fridays starting June 14th for an adult Masters Swim Hour.  Cost is $5/swim.  We will try it for two weeks to determine interest, and continue if there are more than 5 swimmers/ morning average.


Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Approved Notes MIA Board Meeting June 7, 2016

 
Board Meeting June 7, 2016 7:30 P.M. 

Board members in attendance:
Rich Robertson
Lily Halem
Vickie Saenz
Todd Osborn
Attending for executive session:
Don Whiting
Approx 10 members of community

Community Feedback:

Thank you to the Boy Scouts for spending a whole day doing projects at the pool and clubhouse: really nice work!!!!!

Ron Blumstein said the Boy Scouts got their volunteer hours in before their award ceremony, so it worked out well for everyone.

We had an update on the Guadalupe school garden, which is that there is going to be construction where the current garden is located and the garden will most likely move toward Coleman

Community Feedback regarding pool opening for the season and proposed pool policies.
11.     Need more shade:

Board approved more umbrellas at higher price to solve shade issue.  This had already been approved at a lower price but the price of umbrellas was higher than we thought.

22.     Adopted the new pool rules based on proposed rules and community feedback.  They will be published and condensed to post on signs.

Let’s put the older plastic chairs out of circulation because there is danger of them breaking.

33.      Morning Adult Swim:  community expressed interest in am masters program.  See below for details.






4th of July planning: There will be a follow up meeting for finalizing 4th of July details on June 21 at 7:30.  Please come to help us plan.  Volunteers are needed.

Community suggested other themes, because heroes have been done.
Suggestions: toys, holidays, summer vacation, comics, sports teams, national pasttimes, national monuments.

New Theme: Favorite Toys and Comics: all board members approve new theme.

Grand marshal: parsley club of Montevideo.  

Kids as judges: Boy Scouts (same troop that volunteered to fix up our pool and clubhouse) will act as judges for the parade entries

-Float categories: usual categories.
-Best Bikes
-best strollers (babies)
Best walking and rolling (can include wagons, groups etc.)
Best pets (if not too hot)

****If you want your bike/wagon/walkers/float to be judged, come get a entry number for your street/group at 10:30 on July 4th Monteval as you line up for the parade.


Boy Scouts (not from our neighborhood, so neutral) volunteered to judge the parade.
entries.  Ron Blumstein will make sure there will be enough available and confirm.

Vicki will ask Lauren Coleman if she’ll sing the national anthem again.  (She was great last year)

Fire department wasn’t here last year – Peg will get Ray’s info to Vickie to ask him.  Vickie will be in charge of asking him.

Police: Todd has already sent permit application.  (17 pages worth of application.)

We need orange traffic cones for the parade – we need over 80; last year the police had some, but we didn’t have enough. 
Peg will see if he can borrow some cones from her brother.

We are not going to get pre-orders for food.

For food: just hotdogs this year – we invited the swim team to do food as a fundraiser but they didn’t want to this year.

No snowcones – they were too messy and expensive and didn’t work.

Swim team will do a bake sale for desserts as their regular fundraiser.

Volunteer sheet: put one at the pool and a signup genius: Ron Blumstein will create a signup sheet.

We need people to sell tickets: we were short of ticket sellers last year.  Lily and Mary will do it and we will get more volunteers.

Rich is going to organize the vehicle for the grand marshals.

Food order: gets delivered here.  Rines still own it – different from last year – Vickie will order the food.  We also need foil and trays for hotdogs.

Lily can be here to receive order July 3.  Vickie will let Lily know when delivery.

Rich and Todd are in charge of beer.

Ron will ask Jeremy Werner if he will be in charge of popcicles, (buying them and putting them next to the announcer stand) to give to kids.

Rich will ask Brent Nietzel if he will do the announcing. (He has done it every year for the past while)

Lily will sell tickets, so will Mary Robertson

Set up the night before: need help.

Ron Blumstein will make a signup genius: Todd will get the reworked volunteer list to Ron.

We have decorations – EveAnn and Mary will set up 4th in the am

Don will borrow stopwatches and shade for 4 on the 4th:  Don should let Ron Blumstein know what he needs in terms of volunteers.

Need a short focused board meeting on June 21st for finalizing 4th of July- volunteers please come.

Morning Adult Swim:

Morning masters swim will be from 6 am to 7 am.  Tuesday and Friday mornings starting June 14 and continuing as long as we have an average of 5 swimmers over two weeks to sustain the cost. 

Jesse Saenz and Tony Samson will be the coaches.  MIA will pay coaches. 

Swimmers will pay $5 per swim. Jessie can only do it at 6 am and swim team needs to start practice at 7 so pool can open for community swim by 1:00.

Rich will put announcement in 4th of July mailer, Lily will put it on NextDoor.  Jesse will contact swimmers from two and three years ago.
             
Swim Team events:

We didn’t have a representative from the swim team at the meeting.  We need to coordinate pay of coaches, use hours and system. 

Rich will get in touch with Laura to get information about their liability insurance, (our policy excludes swim team) – we need to understand the scope of how they are operating.

We need to understand their payroll, what tax id, how they are registered, if they are incorporated. 

There are a series of events in the swim team handbook planned, but the dates were not approved or noticed to Peggy or the board.  Rich and Todd will collectively get in touch with Laura/ swim team.  We proposed a memorandum of understanding, but we have not heard back about it. 

We need to establish a process. In the past the swim team would meet the mia board in January/ February, but that communication did not happen this year.

Comcast/ internet connection update:
Comcast isn’t working for voicemail; The phone line is not working –
Change the website to call Peggy’s cell phone instead, since the vm is not working.
Don got the Comcast and at&t bill from Tully.  But the last person to order got a new line.  So now we have 3 lines.  Price went to $300.  Suggestion: to only have phone at pool house, because we don’t need a line at the clubhouse. 
We only need Comcast (we have internet and phone with Comcast): we should just get rid of At&T.  Don will call and find out, because they wouldn’t help us without the bills.  We can get the vm number transferred to Comcast.  All board members voted yes to Don’s phone proposal (to get rid of at&t) and transfer the vm number to Comcast. We want the 1944 number.  The rest we can drop.  Will save $300/ mo.  Don will make it happen.

Regular meeting ended on 9:15;

Executive session about unpaid dues:
Todd is resigning as of the end of July; Vickie will become treasurer, but we need a professional bookkeeper, and most likely a HOA management company.


Meeting ended at 9:37

Sunday, June 05, 2016

MIA Board Meeting with a 4th of July Focus TUESDAY JUNE 7, 7:30 PM

Come One Come All!!!!!!!!

Please come to the 4th of July Focused June Board Meeting.  7:30 PM Tuesday June 7.

Agenda:

Community Feedback
4th of July planning
Pool open: feedback?
Morning Adult Swim
Community Events
Comcast/ internet connection update
Treasurer Duties Transition (If necessary this will be in executive session at end of meeting).


Please note!!!!  We have so far not received any suggestions about the 4th of July, or any entries for street float parade themes.  If you have ideas and hopes about what 4th of July will look like this year, please get involved!!!!  We need everyone's voices and help.  The field is still wide open.  Don't let this opportunity pass you by.  Come to the meeting, send us email, find us!  Make your voice heard.